Dandruff is a harmless ,chronic condition that occurs when the scalp becomes dry or greasy & produces white flakes of The severity of dandruff may fluctuate with season as it often worsens in winter.
- Dry skin- People with dry skin tend to get dandruff more
- Seborrheic dermatitis – Affects many areas of skin, including the back of ears, eye brows, sides of the nose and not just the scalp.
- Certain skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema etc.
- Reaction to skin or hair care products.
- Flakes of skin on scalp
- Red,flaky,greasy patches on skin
- Crusting & scaling rash on scalp
MAKING THE DIAGNOSIS
Dandruff is a condition that people can pretty much self diagnose from the symptoms of an itchy,dry & scaly scalp.
Seborrheic dermatitis appears as reddish skin with mild ,greasy,yellow scales & plaques with indistinct margin.
Psoriasis is often associated with silvery,scaly ,well defined plaques.
- Coconut oil – Coconut oil helps to eliminate dandruff due to its antifungal property.It also moisturizes dry skin & provides relief from itching.
- Lemon – Take 2 tsp of lemon juice & massage into your scalp & rinse with water.Lemon’s acidity helps to balance the PH of scalp,which in turn helps to keep the dandruff at bay.
- Aloe vera – Massage your scalp with aloe vera before shampooing.The cooling effect of aloe vera helps to soothe the itch.
- Tomato juice – Apply the mixture of tomato juice mixed with coconut oil on scalp.Leave it for half an hour before washing the hair.Tomato juice helps to balance the level of PH with the help of its acidic contents.
- Curd – Apply fresh curd or yogurt on the scalp & leave it for 15 min.Then remove it with the help of a mild shampoo.Curd is having antifungal property.It is a perfect exfoliate to remove dead skin cells deposited on scalp.
- Raw egg- Take the egg white in a bowl and beat it well so that it get mixed well.Apply this over your scalp & leave it for an hour.Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
- Tulsi – Apply the paste of tulsi leaves over the scalp.Keep this for an hour & wash it away with plain water.Tulsi is having antiseptic property that helps in removing infections from the body.